Rat Poop | Rodent Feces Identification Guide

When you woke up this morning, took your first big stretch, that big yawn and deep breathe. Did you think, Man, I really hope I get the plague today? No? Me either but if you come into contact with rat feces it’s an absolute possibility. Now, I know what you’re thinking, why would I come into contact with rat poop? The answer is simple. If you have rats in your attic, they will use your attic like a bathroom and that can seep into your ceilings and potentially you are breathing in that bacteria. You can simply breathe near the feces and inhale the bacteria.

Leptospirosis is another disease rat poop can carry, the symptoms can be mistaken for lots of other illnesses and can last 2 days to four weeks. It usually hits you right away and starts with a high fever and chills, followed by exactly what you would expect, diarrhea and vomiting. If left untreated it is possible to have a second bout and that can lead to liver or kidney failure and even meningitis and that can be fatal if not treated right away

Rats do not have control over their anal sphincter. This means that they cannot pinch off or even control when they poop. It just comes out whenever it's ready. Which means rats poop A LOT, gross right?

Rat feces
Rat feces will contaminate the insulation and drywall in your attic

Rats are wild animals; the will poop anywhere. In lakes, rivers, pools…anywhere. It is very important if you see rat poop to stay away from it. Do not let your animals, loved ones and especially children come into contact with it. If for any reason this happens, you should seek medical attention immediately.

How do you know if its actual rat poop your seeing? Rat poop is small, about the length of a grain of rice, just wider. The smell would be horrible, if you have an odd odor that smells like ammonia and poop combined, there is a good chance its rat feces.

The bottom line is pretty obvious…Stay away from rat poop. If you see any, keep everyone away from it and call a specialist to have it cleaned up properly immediately to keep your family, pets and of course yourself safe!